Have you tried cooking with essential oils yet? If not, Basil Essential oil is a great way to start! The spicy herbal nature of Basil makes it a versatile oil that can be used to add a little extra flavor while cooking.
History and Sourcing of Basil
Basil has a long history of use dating back more than 5,000 years. Its leaves have been used as an herb to season various cuisines and can most commonly be found in your favorite Italian dish.
Basil essential oil is sourced from Egypt and steam distilled from the leaves of the basil plant. It has a warm, spicy, yet herbal aroma known to reduce anxious feelings. Basil also provides great benefits to both the mind and body due to its high linalool content. This makes it an ideal application to help reduce feelings of tension when applied to the temples and back of the neck.
Commonly used in cooking to add a fresh, herbal flavor to meats, pastas, and entrée dishes, and Basil is also cooling to the skin. The aroma helps promote a sense of focus and a stress-relieving experience.
Basil Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
- Diffuse to promote a sense of focus while studying or reading.
- Combine with Geranium and Wild Orange essential oils for an uplifting aromatic massage.
- Add to your favorite Italian dishes for a refreshing taste.
- Helps to keep the skin looking clean, clear, and healthy
- Promotes mental alertness and lessens anxious feelings when diffused
- Supports cardiovascular and nervous system health when consumed internally
doTERRA Essential Oils
I recommend only one brand of essential oils. Please do not use these tips if you are going to go out and buy the cheapest brands that you can find. When it comes to essential oils, you get what you pay for. There’s hardly any regulation on the essential oil market so you have to do your due diligence when purchasing oils. After research, I fell on doTERRA. DoTERRA holds themself to the highest purity and safety standards on the market -plus they hold themselves to fair trade and sustainability practices.