It’s Flu season!!!
Or is it Vitamin D deficiency season?
Vitamin D deficiency in the Winter
Vitamin D3 is what our bodies naturally produce when we are exposed to sunlight. We get less sunlight (its cold, so we don’t go outside) in the winter and it takes longer to get enough sunlight because we are further from the sun in the winter months. This leaves our immune systems more susceptible.
Did you know that there’s no seasonal difference in elderly deaths from influenza in the winter compared to summer in Norway? Did you also know that Norway has the highest Vitamin D levels in Europe – attributed to their high consumption of Cod Liver Oil? And that Great Britain has a low Vitamin D level and has TWICE as many elderly deaths due to influenza? I think I want my kids to take some cod liver….(1)
Go check your vitamin for the D3 variety of Vitamin D – make sure it’s REAL. And then I want you to check the IU of Vitamin D in your vitamin. The Daily Recommended amount is only 400IU. This number is way too low. You’ll find in the article below that you should take at least a couple thousands IU of the D3 a day and that if you are a higher risk for a vitamin D deficiency (African Americans and the Elderly) you could need upwards of 5000IU a day.(2)
Vitamin D3 for Kids
DoTERRA’s Kid Chewable Vitamin (A2Z) has Vitamin D3 which is the natural form called Cholecalciferol. If your kid vitamin uses a different type of Vitamin D….sorry to say it’s not real and it might not work as well.
DoTERRA’s IQ Mega for kids (the Omega 3 liquid vitamin) has cod liver oil in it. Cod Liver oil is known for it’s high Vitamin D levels.
Would you like to try some of these Vitamins? Check out my SHOP page – I can get you the highest quality essential oils for you at a 25% off wholesale price.
Vitamin D3 for Adults
The DoTERRA LifeLong Vitality Pack (bioavailable, natural vitamin pack) has 1600IU of the D3. And then I personally take the doTERRA Bone Nutrient as well that contains an extra 800IU. Our vitamins get us a lot closer to the ACTUAL amount of vitamin D we need everyday. Even then, if you are high risk, I’d consider taking a cod liver as well – yes, you can take a teaspoon of the children’s IQ Mega to get an extra dose.
This is one of the best ways you can protect your family this winter season and support their immune systems.
Other Ways to Protect Yourself
- Wash your hands regularly! We keep the OnGuard Hand Sanitizing Mist with us at all time to protect ourselves naturally and kill 99% of germs.
- Make getting good sleep a priority. Here are my top oils to support restful sleep.
- Use OnGuard Essential Oil Blend in a diffuser to purify the air.
- Consider applying diluted OnGuard to your child’s feet once or twice a day to support their immune systems.
- Adults should consider applying OnGuard topically or taking the OnGuard beadlets or caplets internally each day as part of their daily health routine.
- Make sure that if you are giving your child a fortified food or drink with Vitamin D that it’s fortified with the Vitamin D3. This is not a replacement for the vitamins but it’s a nice addition to get extra Vitamin D.
- If you do get the flu, here’s What You Need to Know about Antibiotics.
Would you like to try some of these Essential Oils? Check out my SHOP page – I can get you the highest quality essential oils for you at a 25% off wholesale price.
What are YOU doing to protect your family this season?