How to Start a Blog
You guys, running a blog is awesome. It’s a job with flexible hours, it’s a lot of fun, and it pays!
You know you want to do it, but don’t know exactly how to get started. Let me help you out.
1. Pick a Topic and Identify Your Audience
What will your blog be about? Do you want to write mostly about Pregnancy, Working out, traveling, healthy lifestyle, all the above, or something else?
I chose to use an umbrella name “The Prickly Pilot’s Wife” so that I could write about a large variety of topics – basically anything that applied to my own life.
I knew that I wanted to write to other moms like me: moms with preschoolers, military spouses, healthy-recipe seekers, homeschoolers, etc. I write for that audience. (aka you probably won’t see a post explaining how to change a tire!)
2. Pick a Name
Now that you know WHAT you want to write about, you need to pick a name.
- Take a blank sheet of paper
- Start writing words (any words) that apply to the categories your blog will cover or apply to the audience you are trying to reach.
- Example words for a Food blog: Munch, Food, Dine, Dinner, Plate, Kitchen, Delicious
- Example words for a Military blog: Military, Camo, Red White & Blue, Stars & Stripes, Uniform, Pilot (as in my case)
- Example words for a Mom Blog: Mom, Mommy, Wife, Spouse, Kids
- Go crazy!!! Write ALL the words that you can think of. Take a break. Go back and write more.
- After you’ve done a good bit of brainstorming, start putting words together to create a blog name.
- Go check and make sure that the domain (your www.yourblogname.com) is available before you get SET on a name
- Go to this site and plug in the domain you might want to check for it’s availability. This site will let you know if the domain is available and it’ll let you know if the social media channels are available. It’s important that you pick a name that is available across at least your domain, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube.
- Pick your Favorite.