Think of the smelly things in your life: shoes, gym bags, diaper bag, trash can, refrigerator, dog bed, etc etc.
There are so many things in our lives that tend to create odor.
And where does that odor come from? BACTERIA.
So we need to Kick the Stink with something that addresses the ROOT of the stink. We need something that will PURIFY the issue.
This is where my homemade cleaners and odor neutralizers come in. I do NOT use products that just cover up the smell and I do not use products that contain harmful and toxic chemicals.
I make cleaning sprays that double as odor neutralizers.
My Favorite Essential Oil for Cleaning – Purify
Purify is an exclusive combination of essential oils that purify and eradicate odors in a natural, safe way. This uplifting blend combines citrus and pine essential oils that leave an airy, fresh scent on surfaces and in the air. A favorite among doTERRA users, Purify can replace foul odors quickly and be an effective cleaner throughout the home.
Purify contains Lemon, Lime, and Pine essential oils, known for their powerful cleaning properties, along with Siberian and Austrian Firs to purify the air and protect against environmental threats. The addition of Citronella, Melaleuca, and Cilantro give this blend an enticing aroma that’s uniquely doTERRA and unmatched in purification properties.
A Few Uses:
- Diffuse to purify and freshen the air.
- Freshen smaller rooms (or a car) by placing a few drops of Purify Cleansing Blend on a cotton ball and putting it into the air vent.
- Add 5 drops to a small spray bottle with water and use to wipe down countertops.
- Use to soothe away irritations from bug bites.
- Add a few drops to the rinse cycle when doing laundry to help eliminate odor.
11 Recipes for Kicking the Stink, Naturally
Natural Toilet Cleaning Pods
Forget the toxic chemicals of traditional cleansers and try these do-it-yourself Natural Toilet-Cleaning Pods using Purify Cleansing Blend. Purify’s refreshing and herbal aroma will quickly replace unpleasant odors with a clean scent while eliminating tough odors in a natural, safe way.
1 cup baking soda
¼ cup citric acid
1½ tablespoon unscented castile soap
15 drops Purify Cleansing Blend
- Stir the baking soda and citric acid together until combined.
- Slowly stir in the castile soap and Purify. Stir until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Pack the pod mixture into a mold and let dry at least four hours. If the mixture expands above the mold, firmly press back down.
- Once dry, remove the pods from the mold and store in an airtight container.
- To use, simply drop one into the toilet, wait until the pod stops bubbling, and scrub away!
DIY Odor Neutralizing Spray
- 10 drops Purify Essential Oil*
- Glass or stainless steel spray bottle or a high quality plastic spray bottle like this one.
Directions: Add your essential oil and water to a spray bottle. Use this spray to cleanse your surfaces and/or neutralize odors.
*I highly recommend Purify. But, if you desire, you can trade out for OnGuard, Wild Orange, Citrus Bliss, Arborvitae, Oregano, Lemon, etc.
- 10 drops Purify Essential Oil
- Baking Soda
- Small Glass Jar
- scrap fabric and ribbon or string
Directions: Mix essential oil and baking soda in the glass jar. set scrap fabric on top of the jar, secure down the fabric with the string. Set in your stinky places like your fridge or car. Replace as needed!
- 2 ½ cups baking soda
- ½–1 cup water
- 15 drops Purify Essential Oil
- Combine baking soda, ½ cup water, and essential oils into bowl.
- Stir together. Note: If needed, add more water until thick paste forms. The mixture should resemble damp sand.
- Divide mixture equally into silicone mold.
- Allow it to rest for two to three days or until mixture hardens.
- Once hard, place in refrigerator to help eliminate unpleasant odors. Store additional fridge refreshers in an airtight container until ready to use. One disk will last up to a month in your fridge.
Tip: Place under the sink, in a shoe closet, or behind the toilet for additional freshness in other areas of the home.
Yoga Mat Spray
- ¾ cup distilled water
- ¼ cup alcohol-free witch hazel or white vinegar
- 5 drops Lavender oil
- 3 drops Melaleuca oil or Purify Essential Oil
- Glass spray bottle
Note: Not all yoga mats are treated the same. Using essential oils may ruin some yoga mats. Spray a test patch on a small part of your mat first to make sure the cleanser doesn’t adversely affect it.
- Combine all ingredients in glass spray bottle.
- Shake until combined.
- To use, spray on mat and wipe dry with towel.
Fridge and Microwave Cleaner
Cleaning the fridge and microwave can be two of the most difficult chores around the house. Caked-on food, mystery stains, and questionable smells can make this a dreaded cleaning job that gets put off until the last minute. If you need a little help, try this DIY Refrigerator and Microwave Cleaner featuring Lemon essential oil for an easy cleaning job and refreshing aroma.
- Combine the ingredients in glass spray bottle.
- Spray mixture inside fridge or microwave, then scrub and wipe using damp cloth.
Homemade Deodorant Stick
Want a healthy alternative to commercial deodorants? Make your own! Making your own deodorant is inexpensive, effective, natural, and great for your body and the environment.
¼ cup aluminum free baking soda
¼ cup arrowroot or cornstarch
3–5 tablespoons coconut oil
15 drops Purify (or other essential oil)
Recommended essential oils: Lemon, Melaleuca, Lavender, doTERRA On Guard®, Lime, Geranium, Lemongrass, Purify, and Thyme.
Note: If you live in a warm climate, add one ounce of melted shea or cocoa butter to recipe.
- Combine baking soda, arrowroot, and essential oil in bowl.
- Combine coconut oil with other ingredients, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture is at desired consistency.
- Press firmly into empty deodorant container and let sit until coconut oil solidifies.
Carpet can make a room comfortable and homey, but it can be difficult to keep clean. This simple DIY utilizes the cleansing power of Purify Cleansing Blend to help clean carpets. Use regularly to keep carpets fresh.
2 cups baking soda
10 drops Purify Cleansing Blend
- Add essential oil to baking soda and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle mixture over carpet.
- Let rest one to two hours. Vacuum.
- Store remaining baking soda in an airtight container for future use.
Deep cleaning doesn’t have to mean hours of scrubbing on your hands and knees. This powdered cleanser makes it easy to clean even the grimiest of surfaces with little to no work. Just sprinkle on the surface, walk away for 15–30 minutes, and then wipe clean.
- 2 cups borax
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 20 drops Lemon oil or Purify Essential Oil
- Note: Although borax is natural, it can be toxic when ingested and should be kept away from children and pets. If you are concerned about using borax, you can omit it.
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and stir until combined.
- Store in a large shaker bottle.
- To use, dampen surface and sprinkle powder over area you want to clean.Let sit for 15–30 minutes. For an extra cleansing boost, spray distilled vinegar on powder and wipe clean.
Tip: Use an old spice or Parmesan cheese shaker as your shaker bottle.
Purify Magic Sponge
Tired of constantly cleaning up messes? Make life a little easier with this natural DIY containing Purify Cleansing Blend. Purify not only smells fresh, it contains the powerful cleansing properties of Lemon, Lime, Siberian Fir, Austrian Fir, Pine, Citronella, Melaleuca, and Cilantro. This reusable sponge cuts through grease, grime, and everything in between.
1 melamine sponge
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon borax
½ cup hot water
3 drops Purify Cleansing Blend
- Add baking soda, borax, hot water, and Purify oil to a glass container and mix until dissolved.
- Place melamine sponge in the mixture and press firmly to absorb the liquid.
- To use, remove sponge, gently wring out excess liquid, and start cleaning.
- When finished, simply rinse off sponge with clean cold water and return to glass container with cleaning mixture.
Garbage Disposal Refreshers
Does your garbage disposal need a little refreshing? With everything that goes into the disposal, odds are that odors could be accumulating in there. Try this simple DIY recipe to make your own garbage disposal refreshers that will help freshen, clean, and deodorize your garbage disposal.
2 cups baking soda
1 cup salt
½ cup water
⅓ cup unscented liquid castile soap
30 drops Lemon oil or Purify Essential Oil
Note: Liquid castile soap is a vegetable-based soap commonly found in health food stores.
- Combine baking soda and salt into bowl.
- Add castile soap and essential oil into mixture.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, while stirring with hands until it forms into the consistency of “damp sand”. It should stay together when you press it together. If you add too much water just add some more baking soda and salt until the consistency is right.
- Grab a tablespoon measurement device and scoop packed spoonfuls onto parchment paper.
- Once the mixture has been scooped, let dry for 24 hours or until they are hard. One batch should make about 36 garbage disposal refreshers.
- Put into glass jar and use the next time you do dishes. Just put 1–3 refreshers into the garbage disposal and turn it on. You will immediately smell the refreshing scent of Lemon essential oil.
doTERRA Essential Oils
I recommend only one brand of essential oils. Please do not use these tips if you are going to go out and buy the cheapest brands that you can find. When it comes to essential oils, you get what you pay for. There’s hardly any regulation on the essential oil market so you have to do your due diligence when purchasing oils. After research, I fell on doTERRA. DoTERRA holds themself to the highest purity and safety standards on the market -plus they hold themselves to fair trade and sustainability practices.