Spikenard Essential Oil
Historically, Spikenard is an important and precious essential oil. Spikenard Essential Oil is native to the Himalayans. DoTERRA sources their Spikenard Essential Oil from Nepal through co-impact sourcing. DoTERRA skips the middle man and works directly with farms. They make long-term contracts with the farmers and distillers and provide reliable payment. DoTERRA also provides charity to the local communities through the Healing Hands Foundation. The goal is not just to pull as much oil from the harvest as they can – doTERRA seeks to responsibly source sustainable oils. They seek to raise up communities – and they can do that through Spikenard Essential Oil .
Spikenard Essential Oil does well in high altitudes – which is why the Himalayan Mountains suit this plant. The Essential Oil is sourced from the root of the plant through steam distillation.
Check the sourcing of your essential oil – getting oils from plants living in their native environment is very important. Also check for public release of purity testing. I love that doTERRA has Source To You. You can go to the site, plug in the lot number from the bottom of your bottle, and see the test results from that batch. You can know with 100% certainty that it’s a pure and safe essential oil.
The FDA does not do a good job regulating the essential oil industry. I like that the FDA isn’t really involved – but that also means that we, as consumers, must do our own research in choosing the best and safest essential oils for our families. DoTERRA has created a standard called the Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade standard for their oils – it’s the highest standards on the market and they stay true to it.
Spikenard, also known as nard, essential oil is mentioned in the Bible. It’s an oil that was used for the most noble of people. Mary actually used Spikenard to anoint the feet of Jesus.
“Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.” John 12:3
The oil was very expensive – Mary used about a year’s wages worth of the oil when anointing Jesus!
- Spikenard Essential Oil is known to be a calming and relaxing oil.
- Beneficial for your skin – it helps to purify the skin
- Known for being a grounding oil
- Promotes an uplifting atmosphere
- Apply to your face and neck with coconut oil or an unscented lotion.
- Rub the bottoms of your feet with the oil and a carrier oil for relaxation.
- Diffuse with a complimentary oil like Wild Orange or Lavender for an uplifting or relaxing environment.
- Use Spikenard in a massage after a long day of work.
- Apply Spikenard to your spine and the bottoms of your feet when you need immune support – Spikenard may help.
- Use aromatically or topically when tensions are high.
- Add a drop or two to your hair care routine to help stimulate health hair growth.
- Apply Spikenard to your abdomen with some coconut oil or other carrier oil for digestive support.
- Women should try using Spikenard topically over their ovaries and uterus for support.
- When in doubt, pull the Spikenard out!
- Juniper Berry
- Wild Orange
Mix one or a few of these oils together in a roller bottle and some carrier oil and wear as a personal perfume.